Sunday, October 18, 2009

Yangpyeong - Home

Okay! Doengseoul… okay, hold on (let me get my bearings right)!  Yangpyeong to Doengseoul – direct, non-stop bus ride – got it! Then take the subway, third line at Gangbyeon Subway (that’s the Seoul Subway station) to See Cheong (City Hall) and transfer at 1st line (blue line) to Jonggak – got it!  Now to find my way back home… is that North or South? Did I get it right the first time? Strange… I do think I saw that sign twice in 15 minutes… I wonder? …Lost? Me? Never! 


A bus ride from Yangpyeong to Seoul takes approximately 45 minutes and, 20 minutes from Yangpyeong to Yunduri, where my school is situated.  Korea is surrounded by verdure and densely wooded mountains -- pervading a sense of tranquility throughout.  I always look forward to my morning bus rides; the dewy freshness of morning’s breath, misty windows, hustle and bustle – giving meaning to ”God’s Grandeur” (Gerard Manley Hopkins). 


With the onset of autumn comes a chilly morning frown which spreads into a balmy smile as the day progresses.  I need to stretch my legs and get out for some fresh air.  Much of my time here is spent wandering the streets of Yangpyeong, being socialized in the nuances and idiosyncrasies of this small town and its people.  A cordial, “Aan Young Ha Sayo” (good day, good afternoon, hello), to the elderly shop-keeper around the corner who bows graciously and replies, “…de, aan-young-ha-sayo”, his face creasing as he smiles broadly. My day is made and there’s a song in my heart! 


There are many alleyways with shops and pavement vendors. Flagging both sides are life-size billboards in Hangul all over the urbanscape of Yangpyeong.  As I saunter along I’m greeted by the gaiety, joviality and animated conversation coming from across theYangpyeong Bridge.  As I approach the air becomes more and more moist.  Charismatic music and a sprightly female voice booms through the air to the bustling town behind me.  


The whirring, whizzing, sound of an engine catches my attention.  There’s a speed boat and a man water-skiing down below, leaving a snow-white trail in its wake.  I’m a little surprised but nonetheless thrilled by the sight.  I’m even more enthralled by my latest discovery – a park and picnic spot right at the foot of the mountain with a magnificent view of the river alongside.  A wooden pathway seems to wind on forever, but under the tingling warmth of the sun all cares dissipate.  


Yangpyeong has a wonderful rugged, mountainous terrain.  On my way back, I make a mental note to climb up the mountain next time.  I’m told it’s worth doing and that March is a good time for skiing.  


The day is ebbing away and I slowly make my way back through the town – still hustling bustling well after 6PM – no subway, no buses this time – just a very leisurely walk back home.  I have happy recollections of my visits to Seoul and Gyeongbokgun Palace and I make a mental note to pencil in the sites and places still to see and visit.  Itaiwan, I believe is Foreigner Capital, so that’s my next stop and then… let’s see… a BuddhistTemple? A few festivals coming up… Snow! Ski Resorts (Yeah!!!)… There’s also the Seodaemun Prison History Hall, that sounds interesting and maybe, a day spa… Hmmmm.  These are sensational “must-do’s”!  I’m fully booked for quite some time! 

1 comment:

  1. You're sure having a whale of a time. Wish we could change places!!! Hehehehehe!

    ReplyDelete