Friday, September 4, 2009

Home From Home

It’s only been a few days, (1 week today to be exact) and Korea already feels like home. 
Friday evening 29 August 2009, 21h30 and I arrive in Korea.  I feel like quite a VIP when I’m greeted by a big placard reading:  KIM GEORGEThere to meet me is Mr Scott Kim.  Mr Kim, bhh, is very welcoming and reassuring.  Mr Kim tells me it’s a typical Friday night in Seoul, the traffic is heavy and according to him what would normally be an hour’s drive might very well be a 2-hour one.
The city lights are captivating, but soon the tranquility of the West River and its surrounds has me dead to the world! 
We finally reach Yangpeong in the still of the night.  I receive an equally warm reception from Hye-Young Kim who is, incidentally, also my senior colleague, and taken to my flat.  Hye-Young has very thoughtfully bought me some provisions in case I am hungry when I get “home”. 
Saturday morning Hye-Young allows me to phone my mum and then we set off for some girlie time.  I have Sunday lunch with Hye-Young and her family.  On Monday Hye-Young accompanies me to sort out the rest of the residency issues. 
I was given the first week off and thought that was nice.  But because I hadn’t contacted my mother for a couple of days, she phoned Jane, who established that the school decided to let me stay indoors for the week as a precautionary measure.  You know, the H1N1 thing. And that was news to me!  Since  I’ve had the laptop sorted out I’ve been keeping myself busy surfing the net, chatting to my family and listening to Talk Radio 702 on audio stream.
I’m a bit hampered right now, but things will pan out alright once I have the “Alien Card”.  Sounds so un-PC! 
Tonight I’ll be attending a welcoming and introduction dinner and am looking forward to it!
I love my flat(let) as cleaning house is a pet hate!!!  I don’t have to walk over to the fridge; I don’t have to walk over to the stove, TV, or whatever.  It’s quite fun just having to turn clockwise or anti-clockwise, stretch out an arm – and hey presto!
My friend, Denise Churchill, is on the plane to Korea as I write.  I’m quite excited about it!
So far, so good!  The people I’ve met so far are friendly, kind and gracious.  It reminds me a lot of home.  For the most part South Africans are inherently friendly and helpful.  Back home we call  it “UBUNTU”.
I start work on Monday, 7 September (first and second graders) -- AND -- I can’t wait to meet my kids!!!
Till next time! May the Force be with you!

3 comments:

  1. My Sister!!!! Now we are truly 'The United Nations Family'.
    Stay Positive and Open-minded, ok. Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I'm so glad your are happy.
    Can't wait to hear about your first day and your class!!! Chuckers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks for visiting and following my blog!

    ReplyDelete