Saturday, May 29, 2010

Between Dark & Light …

It’s been a while, in fact a very long while, but hey, I’m back!



So much has happened, gone wrong and gone right – my mother’s favourite: C’est la vie.



Denise and I spent Christmas together in Gimpo. I was invited by Arirang Radio to take part in their Christmas Show where we could be linked up with a family member anywhere in the world – I obviously chose to speak to my mother and she spoke to both me and Denise on air – that was fun. We attended a wonderful Christmas Service at a church in Gimpo. I’ve found a little Catholic church here in Yeongpyong a stone’s throw away from where I live. Holy Mass is in vernacular but at least I can follow the rituals. I teach Christian Doctrine for Children at Dong Boo and twice a month I visit a Korean army base in Yangpyeong where I do bible teaching on request from All Nations Christian Academy.



In January my sister came to visit from Canada. We tried to pack in as much of the Korean sights and sounds as we possibly could and then it was time for her to leave again!



School’s great. I have the most supportive and generous principal, vice principal and colleagues. Thank you Hye Young and Eun Sook for always caring. My students are doing great too – I’m actually surprised to see just how far we’ve come and the great strides they’ve made. Korean kids are so respectful, disciplined and focused despite their extremely long hours of study. I just love them!



I’ve had some good times, some bad times. Many times I felt like throwing in the towel, but I’m glad I didn’t. I remember a childhood friend now living in Ireland telling me before I left home, that it was going to be tough but I should pray and pray and pray. I did. Thanks Thérèse – sound advice. I’m grateful for being alive and well, but I couldn’t have done it without HIS protection, the love and support of my family and friends.



To Luché: In SA it’s not your birthday yet, but in Korea it is. Happy birthday baby, aunty Kimmie loves you! How many fingers today??? And Happy Birthday Ma for tomorrow.



Together with my US family and friends I wish to pay tribute to and honor those who have fallen in wars. On this Memorial Day I salute the troops at the US Army Base in Yongsan and in particular my friend Joshua Tanner. My thoughts are with my brothers, Thurman and Jerome, and the entire Holliday family whose lives have been affected by war. May He guide and protect you all.




I leave you with this thought: We were not born equal but our self determination and tenacity, levels the ground on which we stand. (Nathan Sopke)



‘til next time,

Yours truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment